Thursday, May 31, 2012

Not just black and white...


When teaching my child colors (just before he turned 2), I decided to start with a color wheel. I bought one but you can easily download and print one. http://christinafowler.com/blog/free-color-wheel-download/ I started with red and we went around the house and pointed to things that are red. Then we did blue, green, yellow, black, white, brown, orange, purple, pink, and grey. The next day, we talked about the colors again and read Eric Carle's Brown Bear, Brown Bear. I got out the color wheel poster and said, let's go find things that are red and bring them back and put them on the correct color on the wheel. We did this little game for several days with each color. The only color my child had difficulty with was gray. It isn't as common as the other colors. When he had all his colors down, we did gold and silver. Then, we did it all over again the next week in spanish. This kiddo knows his colors! We later made a rainbow with fruit (strawberries, blueberries, green melon, mandarin oranges, pineapple, purple grapes, and yogurt for the clouds).

No comments:

Post a Comment