Monday, February 25, 2013

Letter of the Day...Qq

When I teach the letter Q, I told my son it is usually followed by a U. I say, "Q and u are stuck like glue".
Online Activity:www.starfall.com

Food Ideas: Quaker oatmeal, quesadillas, quinoa, quiche
Art activity: I printed off the letter Qq: http://www.first-school.ws/t/alpha1/q.htm and gave my child a few Q-tips and paint of various colors. I always use washable tempera paint. He traced the Qq with the Q-tip and then filled it with lots of little dots.

Book: Quick as a Cricket by Audrey Wood. After reading this to my child, we talked about what it would be like to be quick as a cricket. I said it would also be fun the be as quiet as a mouse. We pretended to be quick crickets and quiet mice. My son said he would like to be as loud as a T-rex. I let him "draw" a T-rex and underneath it I wrote "I am as loud as a T-Rex!"

 Math: Quarters. I glued (usind Elmer's liquid glue) 4 quarters on a piece of cardboard. I placed a white sheet of paper over the quarters and let my son rub a crayon back and forth over them to do rubbings. He loved it! I also taught him the rhyme, "Quarter, Quarter big and bold! You're worth 25 I am told." I took out our money jar (a jar I keep in the laundry room to collect loose change) and we sorted out all the quarters. Then we counted how many we had. I didn't count the amount, just the number of quarters.

No comments:

Post a Comment