Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Letter A Day....Pp!

                                         
Today is the letter P! I printed out each letter of the alphabet on paper (Upper and lowercase together on each page). http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/picture-alphabet-posters.htm 
I put a new letter each morning on our front door. This morning when my son woke up he found the letter on the door. I told him the letter and what sound it makes. Then he traced over the letters with his finger. 
For breakfast he had Cherry Pomegran Pop-tarts (made by Nature's Path organic) with pineapples and peach yogurt. We talked about each food and I really stressed the 'p' sound on each one. 
After breakfast, I told him that we were going on a treasure hunt. The first "clue" was a picture I took on my phone of the playground in our neighborhood. I told my son that we had to get dressed and go to the playground.  Inside my shorts pocket is a small pack of purple kool-aid. That will be for later. I grabbed a bottle of water and we were off!
When we reached the playground, there was a pirate costume on the bench. I bought this at Target on the dollar aisle and put it at the park before he woke up this morning. We talked about how "pirate" starts with "p" and so does "playground". Then we played pirates together for a while.

Underneath the playground slide I taped a picture and the word "park". I told him that was our next clue. Our neighborhood park is within walking distance from our home so this was all very easy. 
On our walk to the park, I told my son to look for things that started with the letter "p". He found a puddle, puppy, princess bicycle, and of course the park. We even found the letter "p" on a sign. 
After playing at the park for a while, we set off back home. We stopped at a bench to rest and heard my phone alarm go off (of course I planned this). I told him it was our next clue and I showed him a picture on my phone of a "pocket". We thought about what this clue would mean and I suggested that we check our pockets. Inside mine was the purple kool-aid. We mixed it into our bottle of water and had a nice little drink. My alarm went off again 5 minutes later with another clue. I told him it was a video. I opened up a short 5 min video of Peppa Pig on You Tube. So we sat on the bench and watched Peppa Pig and drank kool-aid. So fun!

When we got back to the house, we made a cheese pizza together for lunch. Some other ideas would be to go on a picnic or a restaurant that starts with the letter P. After lunch we went to the pool and swam. 

It is now nap time and I can get caught up on some laundry while my little smarty pants snoozes!
Here are a few other things I have planned for today: Play-doh, paper-plate pig craft, and popcorn and the movie Peter Pan before bedtime tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment